Designers & Books originally published this questionnaire in 2013, in honor of the 100th anniversary of the publication of the first volume of In Search of Lost Time. There are 25 questions in all, and today I’m sharing my answers to 1-10 with you.
1. Of these, your reading preference: fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama: Fiction
2. Your favorite childhood book (or favorite child
hood author): A Chair for My Mother, by Vera B. Williams, which I saw for the first time on Reading Rainbow when I was a little one. I’ve loved it ever since.
3. Your favorite book character: Harriet M. Welsch
4. Your favorite book title (because you like the sound of it): Rumblefish by S.E. Hinton
5. A book you could never finish: The Fellowship of the Ring
6. A book you will never start: The Return of the King, obviously, since I can’t finish my answer to #5.
7. If for some reason it turned out that you could save one and onl
y one book from among those you own, which would it be: Czech edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone: Harry Potter a kámen mudrců by JK Rowlingova (per Czech tradition, “-ova” is added to a woman’s last name). I don’t even speak Czech, but my best friend, who lives in Europe, sent it to me.
8. A book you should have read but haven’t: Matilda by Roald Dahl.
9. The best “book as object” you own (how it looks over what it says): A 1920s edition of Anne of Green Gables. I also love the story, but in this case, the bookness takes precedence over content.
10. Your reading speed: very slow, slow, moderate, fast, very fast: Too slow! Which is funny, considering I read for a living.
Image belongs to applicable parties and are used here without permission.